One spring day, I decided that I needed to go shopping. As a large woman, I hated to shop. Absolutely hated it. (Have you ever see the X-large section? Ug-lee!) Plus, the idea of going into a dressing room gives me vertigo. But, here I am, I decide I'm sick of everything I own. So, I put on some sensible shoes, and head towards the mall.
While there, there are just a few shops that I would dare enter. There are only a few shops that even carry sizes made for me. So, I'm at the local "fat girl store" wandering through the piles. Everything is just....."Ugh". As I'm headed out the door, I notice a pile of t-shirts by the door. They are all stretchy and pastel colors. Now, I never ever wear anything but deep blues and blacks. That's what I'm comfortable in. That's what enables me to blend into the environment. My own special camouflage. Anyways, these shirts are all yellow-y, pink, teal, and lavender. I totally do not have anything like this. So I think to myself, "well, maybe I'm missing something? Maybe it's time for a change?" I pick up the lavender tee and ring it up.
The next weekend, its Easter weekend. In my family, we all forced to gather together, and pretend to like each other. I wear my new lavender shirt, secretly congratulating myself for taking such risks. I'm a few Mimosa's in, when my sweet, sweet nephew says to me, "Nina, yo luk big aster egh." (<------That would translate into: Nina (nickname for godmother) you look like a big EASTER EGG!" ) He actually shouted this! At that very moment, everyone had miraculously just stopped talking. You could hear a pin drop. All eyes turned to me, then down at my lavender shirt. My face turned red and hot. I manage a tiny smile for my nephew, because of course I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
I just swallowed mine.
I glanced at Mr. Hummingbird, and he looked away. I think that part hurt the most.
I was embarrassed for him.
I was embarrassed for me.
Suddenly, everyone started talking again, ignoring the elephant in the room.
Everyone but me.
I skipped dinner that night. (Acting like I was too busy in the kitchen.) And I avoided eye contact with everyone.
It really sucked.
I gave that shirt away to Goodwill, the very next week.
4 comments:
aww thats so sad.
I hated to shop when I was fat too.
It can be tough when you are big for sure. Love the blog!
Noticed you haven't posted in a while. Hope you are alright! Love your new blog too!!
Post a Comment