Monday, March 16, 2009

Random Fat Embarrasing Moment- #444

So, I've started hanging out with some girls from my office. They are a few years younger than me, and mostly single, but they are a lot of fun to hang out with. We've been hanging out mostly on Friday nights. Our thing has been to hang out at the local dance club/bar. The five of us go to the same place, where we are treated like rock stars. We never have to wait in line, (I know, I know, I'm such a snob. But it sure does feel good to walk by everyone waiting in line, and get in without having to pay a cover charge! So, sue me.) and get comp'd drinks. We normally stay until the place closes at 2 am. (I try not to eat or drink anything while I'm there. I'm pretty good about it too.) Mostly, we just hang out, dance, flirt, and laugh. It's really a lot of fun. I'm the only married one, and I'm the most conservatively dressed too. (cute, but way less skin showing)

One night, we're at the bar, just cracking jokes and having a great time. One of my friends, (she's a former fattie too.) runs into her old high school crush. He can't stop staring at her, since she looks so different now. (like 80 lbs different) He takes her out to dance, and the rest of his posse join us at our spot at the bar. Everyone is talking, having a great time.

One of the guys, well....he's a little homely looking. He reminds me of that one guy from Superbad. (<----the guy in the middle) Anyways, I make my way over to him since no one else was talking to him. (plus, I'm married, right? Who cares if I talk to his homely looking guy, right?) I strike up a conversation with him, but he's just not that into talking to me. It's like pulling teeth, talking to this guy. Looking back now, I realize just how rude he was being to me, but at the time I was more concerned making sure no one ignored him. So, here I am, pestering him with questions, while the rest of our groups are drinking, dancing, and flirting. Finally, this guys says to me, "So, you drove them all here?"
"Yeah, I normally drive." (Since I was "older" I had the nicest car)
"Humm...I see. And you normally don't drink either??"
"Naw, I don't" I didn't tell him about the whole diet thing. I'm sure he would have been sooooo interested in that, right?
We sit there in silence.
"So, they only invite you because you're the designated driver?"
I felt all the color wash out of my face. I stared at him for a while. Was this guy telling me that these young pretty sexy girls were only my friend because I was a responsible driver? I was the token fat girl in this group? And, this homely guy was talking to me, because he felt sorry for me??
He walks away from me, at this point.
I think what he did was a mean thing to do to someone. (But, I guess I'm guilty of doing the same to him, right?)
This was the last time I went to a bar with my friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! Go back to the bar with your friends!! Don't let Superbad spoil your fun. There's a reason no one else was giving him any attention and you found it!


Side note (question, actually): At the beginning of your training sessions, did you feel like vomiting a lot? If so, how did you resolve it. The other day, you told me to watch out for the young, perky ones and you were right! She has arms of steel and thinks I can move a lot more weight than I probably can. I keep feeling nauseous during our workouts...

webmom30 said...

I still feel like vomiting!
Don't forget, Mr. Hummingbird actually vomits each time he does a new workout.

Anonymous said...

I've only read a few of your posts, but you are a crack-up! So, no, your friends do not just use you as a designated driver...it's your personality they like! (which can't be said for the other guy..,)

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe next time you need to get drunk and not drive just to test Superbad's theory. What an ass!

Like you, I would talk to the person no one else talks to.

Go out w/ your friends again. Don't let that stop you!