I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but Mr. Hummingbird and I went to high school together. Same graduating class and everything. Only, we never spoke the entire four years there. I didn't "meet" him until after we both finished college. (funny, huh?) I was too involved in the drama of high school life, and he was a late bloomer who immersed himself in school work. (Okay, you can say it. You're thinking it. Just say it. He was a nerd. What can I say? I love nerdy boys.) We really don't keep in touch with anyone from high school, except for one friend, Brian. (We'll call him Brain, since he was nerdy too.) Anyways, Brain also has the metabolism of a hummingbird. In fact, Brain met Mr. Hummingbird on the cross country team.
One day, we were visiting, and someone mentioned that our 15 year class reunion was coming up. Mr. Hummingbird was happy about this, and was looking forward to it. (Think about it. If he was all nerdy in high school, and he's a hunk-a hunk-a man now, why wouldn't he want to go?? Plus, he married the pretty cheerleader.) Brain said that he wasn't sure if he was interested in going. I agreed with him, saying that we were all past high school now, so why cling to the past? Brain then says, "Well, maybe we should go. I mean, look at us, we all still look pretty good. We're probably be the best looking bunch there."
*silence*
*awkward silence*
My eyes darted across the room, looking at each of them, but not making eye contact with them. We were all thinking the same thing. But, no one would say it out loud. Instead, it just hung in the room.....all sweaty and disgusting.
We were all thinking that they looked pretty good, but I had let myself go.
Let myself go in a big way.
A big freaking, 100's of lbs way.
I heard Mr. Hummingbird gulp and say, "yeah, we do look pretty good." But he said it weakly. And embarrassingly.
I hung around for a few minutes, just so they wouldn't think that my feeling were hurt.
But you know they were.
5 comments:
Aww, that makes me sad. Did you end up going? I never went to any of my hs reunions, I was always too embarrassed.
Awww ...
=(
That sucks.
Awww, you should go anyway. I bet a lot of people have gained weight. I graduated 16 years ago this year! *gasp* We must be about the same age. I have gained hmm, 45 lbs since high school so don't feel pregnant, sista. ;)
It's official I love you. I once ran into an ex and blurted out "Wow, you really have let yourself go!" MOFO! Can you imagine what and ASS! I was a chearleader in School and Ms. Popular and there I was 100lbs heavier and there we was HOT as ever! MOFO!
Post a Comment