Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Visit to my Doctor

During the time that I broke my last toilet seat, and the time I saw my Celebrity Trainer, I took a trip to see my family doctor. Now, I don't go to the doctor unless I'm really afraid of some limb falling off me or if something is turning a weird color. But, at the urging of my Celebrity Diet Expert, I decided to go in for a full check up. I'd been to the doctor (OB/GYN) because I had been trying to get pregnant. But, my OB could only do so much for me. My General Practitioner was going to run a full array of tests. My serious concern was my thyroid. I needed to make sure that it was right on track.
At the office, I had to get on the scale, which I absolutely hated. The nurse whispered the number to me like a dirty little secret that we were both sharing, (326 lbs) while I knew that had I weighed 150 lbs, she would have shouted it across the room. I was poke and prodded. (but, not the good kind) And stuck with a needle. My doctor did a quick physical exam. (he was worried about my lungs of all things!) He asked me how often I went pooh. How often I peed. Did I sleep on my back? Did I have any pains? After a long list of questions, he sent me home to return in a few days.
Upon my return, I actually felt better. And lighter. I sit in the office, and wait for my results. He tells me the words that I've been dreading...........

"There is nothing wrong with you. The only way you will lose weight is with proper dieting and exercising."

Great. I know I should be happy, but I was hoping to have an excuse.
"So, you're sure that my thyroid is fine? I'm really worried about it. I think it's keeping me from losing the weight."

"Nope, it's borderline, but that shouldn't affect you."

I thank him, and get ready to leave. Then, he says it.

"You know, if you just skip dinner every night, the weight will just melt off."



WHAT! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I leave, disgusted. Obviously, this guy does not understand being overweight.

AT. ALL.

I never go back to that particular doctor. It's been close to 10 years now.

4 comments:

Hautemama said...

Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't go back either. I would be concerned about the borderline result. Can you maybe see a naturopath or something?
The women in my family have thyroid issues... and my grandmother was just finally diagnosed and put on meds - she is now skinnier than I've ever seen her.
My thyroid test came back negative, but I'm not sure I believe it, as I have a lot of the symptoms.
Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! A doctor told you that!?
You poor thing. If you still think its your thyroid you need a full workup done. A GP only test one area of the thyroid. What a jerk of a doctor.

Lisa said...

Just because they're doctors, doesn't mean they're smart...I once had a doctor start in on me about childhood obesity when I took my (off the weight charts!) 2 month old baby in to see him. *eyeroll*

Anonymous said...

That's horrible.

My husband has an uncle who sees a chiropractor who advised him to never eat after 4 p.m. He did lose a ton of weight but I wouldn't be able to do that. No way. No how.